Meaning: Its source is Iscah, a Hebrew name meaning "He beholds."
Languages: This girl's name is used in Dutch and English.
Source Forms: Iscah
Popularity: The name Jessica ranked 13th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics, 26th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census and 1st in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1994 US Census.
This name is highly rated both on the 1990 U.S. Census list and in state data recording the most popular baby names.
Narrative: William Shakespeare invented the modern name Jessica for Shylock's daughter in his play The Merchant of Venice. Though he may have intended it to denote a typical Jewish girl, the name has become popular with all ethnic groups.
- Jessica McCullough Weis (born 1901, died 1963)
- Representative, R-New York, 1959-63 (see list of Women in the House of Representatives)
Stage and Screen
- Jessica Bridges
- The daughter of Jeff Bridges and Susan Geston (see list of see Celebrity Babies)
- Jessica Buchanan
- Character on the soap opera ''''One Life to Live'''' (see list of Characters on ''One Life to Live'')
- Jessica Dragonette (born 1910, died 1980)
Indian opera singer.
- Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Radio (see list of Radio Personalities with Stars in the Hollywood Walk of Fame)
- Jessica Beatrice Fletcher
- Portrayed by Angela Lansbury (see list of Characters on ''Murder, She Wrote'')
- Jessica Forrester
- Character on the soap opera ''''The Bold and the Beautiful'''' (see list of Characters on ''The Bold and The Beautiful'')
- Jessica Griffin
- Character on the soap opera ''''As the World Turns'''' (see list of Characters on ''As The World Turns'')
- Jessica Lange (born 1949)
American actress and producer.
- Jessica Tandy (born 1909, died 1994)
- Three-time Tony Award winner for Best Actress in a Play: 1948, for A Streetcar Named Desire; 1978, for The Gin Game; 1983, for Foxfire (see list of Tony Winners for Best Actress in a Play)
- 1989 Academy Award winner for her performance in Driving Miss Daisy (see list of Oscar Winners for Best Actress)
- Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Picture (see list of Movie Personalities with Stars in the Hollywood Walk of Fame)
- 1986 Kennedy Center Honors recipient (see list of Kennedy Center Honors Recipients)
- Jessica Tate
- Portrayed by Katherine Helmond (see list of Characters on ''Soap'')
The Literary World
- Shylock''s daughter in The Merchant of Venice (see list of Shakespearean Characters)
- Sick 'em
- Messy Jessie
- Jessica Pessica
- Jessie Wessie
- Jessie's Way
- Mess of a Jess
- Jess the Mess
- Jessica Messica
- Bessie Cow
- Jessee Bee
- Chesty Jessie
- Jecca Doo